Happy Earth Day! Are you as environmentally conscious as you could be? If not, here are some tips on how live a greener, more eco-friendly life! After all, we’ve only got one earth, let’s all do our parts to make sure it sustains us for generations to come!
1. Turn off and unplug computers at night. This simple step taken before bedtime can save up to 40-watt hours per day.
25% of the electricity used by electronic devices such as computers is used while the device is simply plugged in! Unplug them or plug them into a power strip that can be switched off.
2. Fix leaks. A dripping faucet can account for more than 3,00 gallons of wasted water per year! Toilets that run can waste almost 200 gallons of water PER DAY. Fix those leaky faucets and toilets ASAP!
3. Replace any non-stick pots or pans with cast iron ones. A properly season cast iron skillet is naturally non-stick and don’t contain any fluoropolymers the chemicals used to make a pan non-stick. These toxic chemicals are also released into the air when you cook and are known to break down into carcinogens.
4. Wash clothes in cold water and ONLY if there’s a full load. This simple step helps reduce water waste and can save the average household up to $40 annually.
5. Compost food scraps. Composting reduces garbage thrown into landfills and can be used as fertilizer in your garden. It’s a win-win!
6. Telecommute if possible. Obviously automobile emissions are horrible for the environment, so if you job allows it, try to work from home when possible. If telecommuting isn’t an option, try to take public transportation or ride your bike to work!
7. Buy recycled products. Look for keywords like ‘recycled’ or ‘post-consumer’ on products like paper towels, printer paper, sleeping bags, trash cans and carpeting. The content of the recycled material can vary so try to find products with a higher percentage of post-consumer materials used.