A Tale of Kwazi

Hi, I’m Joe Cassavaugh and I’ve been the lead designer on all three Mah Jong Quest games here at iWin. I thought I would spend my first blog explaining a little bit about Kwazi’s origins. Since Kwazi first showed up in Mah Jong Quest, people have asked “Is Kwazi a boy or a girl?” Although we finally answered that question in “Mah Jong Quest III – Balance of Life”, I think it’s a good time to tell everyone how Kwazi became intentionally ambiguous in that area in the first place.

I originally thought of the name “Kwazi” (rhyming with Bonsai) because my family nickname is “Kazz” and that quickly morphed into “Kwazi” and I always thought of “Kwazi” as a little boy. However, creation at iWin is very much a collaborative process and David Fox wrote the story outline with “Kwazi” as a little girl. I had never specified that “Kwazi” was a boy and I was surprised when I saw the “she” pronoun for the first time in regards to “Kwazi”. I think we even had art at that point and it was ambiguous enough that David and I decided there was no reason that “Kwazi” couldn’t remain undefined in that area. I was familiar with the “It’s Pat” sketches from SNL in the mid 90′s and I joked “Is it a He? or Is it a She?…It’s Kwazi!!!”

And that is how “Kwazi” (rhyming with Bonsai) got his/her pronunciation change into “Kwazi” (pronounced like the Quazi in Quazi Moto) (which also rhymes with he/she). And did you know that the three dragons are named Qua, Nit and Um? But that’s a story for another day.

16 Comments

1. Kip
    Posted December 29, 2008 at 3:35 am | Permalink

In Mah Jong Quest, I cannot seem to get past the Dragon’s Claw in Kwazi. Is there a solution?

2. Debbie
    Posted January 24, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

In Mah Jong Quest Tournament I noticed that sometimes the other players matches don’t match. How does that work?

3. Anonymous
    Posted December 5, 2009 at 7:30 am | Permalink

So is there a solution to Dragons claw or is this the way you guys chose to end the game.

4. Posted December 9, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I also am frustrated about the solution to Dragon’s Claw–I can get no further no matter what I do.. Any solution???

5. KW
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Im stuck on the Dragon’s claw puzzle is there a solution at all? please help

6. Posted April 21, 2010 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Hi there. I used to play Quazi’s Quest with a lot of fun. Since I bought another laptop I can NOT play any more because according to my daughter, who really knows a lot about computers, she can not transfer Quazi from one laptop to another. You cabn check that I really bought this game, only I had another emailadres, eemilo@hetnet.nl,
    but it is still me. Do you have any suggestions? I do NOT have money to buy the game again, or I would have done so three years ago, believe me. Awaiting your answer, friendly greetings, Ellen

7. Posted April 21, 2010 at 5:52 am | Permalink

Hi there, I do not know whether you received my mail or not, so I will send it again. About 4 or 5 years ago I bought Quazi no.! and played it with a lot of fun, I only finished to whole game once, because then I bought a nw laptop and could not transfer the game to the laptop. What do you suggest I do? I have no money to buy the game again and would so like to start playing again and then ask the other two numbers for my 71st birthday. Awaiting your answer, friendly greetings, Ellen E. Milo

8. Pam
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I am stuck on Kwazi’s Quest Dragon Claw. Is there a solution to it?

9. Christine
    Posted May 14, 2010 at 11:18 am | Permalink

I absolutely LOVE this game; and I am not an internet gamer at all. I just love the graphics, the scenery, and the music. I too have wondered if Kawzi was a boy or girl – I guess I won’t know until I play MQIII. :0(

10. Patti
    Posted May 24, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Me too!!! I love the game, but the Dragon Claw. What’s up with that?? I would like to move on before the week is out. This game has relaxed me until I got to the CLAW!! Help!!

11. Patti
    Posted May 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Me too!!! But what’s up with the Dragon Claw. I would like to move on before the week is out. Help!!

12. kiiziie
    Posted June 4, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

same as above,i can’t pass the “Dragon’s Claw” .. :(

13. Anonymous
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Im trying to finish this game of Mah Jong Quest 2,Im on the last one and can not figure it out
    Please Help

14. Shari
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I still haven’t found a way to get past Dragon Claw… has anyone else found a way? It would suck to give up a good game like this one.

15. Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

How do i get past Twelve Butterflies?

16. moonflower
    Posted December 21, 2013 at 1:06 am | Permalink

How do you win in the 12 butterflies game in majong quest ???

One Trackback

1. By parentcoin.com on November 10, 2014 at 5:58 pm

parentcoin.com…

A Tale of Kwazi | iWin Blog…